Thursday, December 13, 2012

Wellness: What's It All About?

                               
                                                               Wellness
                                                      What's it All About?
                               




                         The part can never be well unless the whole is well. -Plato

Wellness is a HOT topic these days. The media is constantly bombarding us with information about wellness.

But what does it really mean to be well?

 Pop Quiz:  If I am not sick, I am well.

Is this true?


 Ok, so I didn't like pop quizzes in school, either. The good news is, this one is NOT being graded!

The answer is actually false.

Turns out medicine has evolved enough to acknowledge the fact that there is more to health/wellness than just whether you are sick or not. It has even gone so far as to acknowledge that health/wellness involves more than just the body, exercise and nutrition. By the way, for now, I will use health and wellness interchangeably although arguably there are some differences.

                                           Some Background Information

Nine years ago I taught this in health class:
The Health Triangle


Today, I am teaching this in health class:


Today's version is called a Wellness Wheel. You can find many versions online and the categories vary slightly, but this is the one I use.

It's amazing to see how much the topic of health/wellness has expanded in the last decade. Check out the categories it now includes!

Quick Facts about the wheel:
*Each slice represents a category of wellness.
*We want each category of wellness to be strong so we have a bigger wheel.
*We want each category to be balanced so our wheel can roll.
*Each category of wellness affects the others. If a person is struggling in one category it can throw the whole wheel off. Is that the kind of wheel you want driving you around?

So hopefully now your thinking about your wheel...

1. Would it wheel roll?
2. Would it roll well? Is it balanced and strong?

If not, what is one thing you could do today to help it get on the right track?
    *Drink more water?
    *Reduce stress?
    *Exercise more?
    *Breathe?

Many people think they need to make huge changes to improve their wellness, when really it just starts with one small change.


In Wellness,




Wellness is made of the small choices we make everyday. What have you done today to embrace wellness?


Are you ready to make a change? Check out my website and my Facebook page for more information:
 www.facebook.com/EmbraceWellnessNowllc (you can also click the Facebook link on the right side of the screen).

Sign up for my newsletter to receive more wellness tips, tricks and information. I promise I won't bombard you and the information will be worth it! Just click the newsletter button on the right side of the screen. Hope to hear from you soon!

Picture credit:www.flickr.com/photos/alfon18/2439293687/">Alfonsina Blyde »</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">cc</a>




                                             

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. Not sure how but you have a wealth of powerful information. I'll be checking daily and with your permission I will share with my friends who are struggling with health and wellness issues.

Amy Dibasilio said...

Thanks for stopping by! I have been teaching about wellness for over a decade now and absolutely love talking and writing about it. I am in the process of moving to a new website, but you can keep up to date on my FB page too. I will use this site until it is complete. Feel free to share...
https://www.facebook.com/EmbraceWellnessNowllc

Amy Dibasilio said...

Glad I can help!