Sunday, January 20, 2013

Who Were You?

I have been reading a book called Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte (highly recommend by the way). I came upon a very important question and it just stopped me in my tracks:
Photo Credit

"Can you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be?"

Can you remember? Go ahead, ponder... Take as long as you need.

For many, that's a loaded question. For me, as well.

And the answer for a very long time was sadly, No, not really. 

But luckily, this past year I have been on a journey of remembering who I really am (I can't help but smile as I type that). So the answer is shifting.

 Sure, I have seen sparks of the real me (my true essence) over the years, but as I have discovered on my long and amazing journey in 2102, I somehow became a mixture of what the world actually wanted me to be and what I thought the world wanted me to be. Taken over by all the should's and the have to's,  the need to be's, and the good enough's, my true self kind of got lost along the way. Until recently, I almost didn't recognize myself from even 7 years ago (got married, had 3 kids). While I wouldn't trade the last 7 years for anything because some absolutely amazing things happened during them (for which I am so grateful), I do recognize that this was the one of the times I struggled the most with who I was supposed to be.

For most of us (myself included), this starts when we are very young. We are constantly getting messages from our parents, family, friends and teachers about how we should look, act, talk, etc. Some of these messages are verbal and some are never spoken but the message is heard loud and clear. I can already see it in my five year old as he is learning about the world.

Working in a middle school, I also see first hand how strong the desire to fit in can be. I remember it from when I was in school too. They are trying to meet the expectations of their parents, teachers and  coaches. Then there is the strong desire to fit in with their peers. Conversations with my students remind me that middle school is a tough time and that kids can be just brutal to each other. Sadly, I see many students change who they are and how they behave and act because they think it is the right thing to do. Kids who I thought I really knew in 6th grade I sometimes can't even recognize as 8th graders.  Maybe it doesn't have to be that way. Maybe losing yourself does not have to be a part of growing up.   One day, I hope to go into schools and help empower kids (especially girls) to be who they really are.

As for me, this past year has been a year of remembering, healing and finding my voice. Each step I take back to my true self fuels my passion for life. With each step, I naturally become the parent, wife, friend, coach, etc. that I was meant to be. My life is no longer scripted by what the world thinks I  should be or how I think the world wants me to be. And I know I can never go back. I am too in love with this journey.

So now my friends, I pass the talking stick on to you:

"Can you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be?" 

Or

Have you been on a journey similar to my own? 

If you feel moved to, please comment below (where it says post a comment). I'd love to hear about it!


In Wellness,



Wellness is made of the small choices we make everyday. What have you done today to embrace wellness?

Are you ready to find your fabulous? I am here to help and support you in reaching your goals. Click here to contact me for a free consultation.

Newsletter: Sign up for my newsletter to receive more wellness tips, tricks and information. I promise I won't bombard you and the information will be worth it! Just click the newsletter button on the right side of the screen. Hope to hear from you soon!

Content copyright 2013. Embrace Wellness Now. All rights reserved.





8 comments:

Unknown said...

The cool thing is: if we can't remember, we can always start being our best now.

The Great Gordino said...

wow Amy!
When I saw the title, I suspect the same thing happened to me as happened to you when you saw it - feeling compelled to look further!
I've written a lot about using someone else's idea and developing on it.
You've done that here, and I may do the same - it's great question to ask, and may well change some lives if people acted on the answers!
Thanks,
Gordon

Amy Dibasilio said...

Thanks for the great comments! This question just absolutely had my mind spinning for awhile. But you are so right, we can absolutely start from where we are now. Each moment a new gift!

The Connection Queen said...

This is one dear to my heart too. I have finally arrived! It has been a long difficult journey but I am who I am. Even this week I had a guy challenging that but that was his problem!!! Today I saw a comment that sums it up! I have borrowed it from the Hampshire winning women group "be yourself an original is worth far more than a copy"

The Connection Queen said...

This resonated with me. It has taken me a long time to learn to be me but finally I have arrived. Even this week a guy was challenging me to be someone else!! Needless to say I thanked him for his advice and took my own!! I saw a brilliant comment this afternoon in the Hampshire Winning women group -not sure wjo originally said it but oh so apt! "be yourself an original is worth far more than a copy"

Matilda Sjödell said...

I love that! Yes, I have been on, or should I say am on, a similar journey to yours. I believe it is a struggle for most of us to stay true to our inner essence. I know that it has for me. Very difficult. I tried to be everything I should be as a girl, as a woman, as a daughter, as an academic, as a teacher, as a partner etc etc. In all this I forgot to listen to me. This is what I'm learning to do now! Such a great post. I'll tweet this! :)

Amy Dibasilio said...

Thanks for you comment. I wish you well on your journey back to you. It is an amazing one. I have found the more I work on it the more momentum I gain.

Amy Dibasilio said...

Grany Lyn- How wonderful that you were true to yourself and could have the courage to separate his opinion from your self concept. Love the quote!