Monday, January 7, 2013

De-Stress Your Morning

"If you look up the word Chaos in the dictionary, you will see a picture of our family between the hours of 5-7 am." - my husband.

Photo Credit
 Yes, this was actually a post my husband put on Facebook not too long ago. Somewhat embarrassing, but true. With three kids and two parents who work full time, it can definitely get a little crazy.

Since that post, I have tried to make the morning a little more relaxing for myself and my family. Our mornings tend to set the tone for the whole day. I notice on the mornings that we are less rushed, the entire day seems to run smoother, I am calmer, more focused, and time efficient. I can only imagine the benefits it has for my kids.

What does morning look like in your household?

If your mornings are anything like ours, the following tips might help-

Three Ways to Add More Calm to Your Mornings:

1. Wake up a little earlier If you must set your alarm, set it 15 minutes early so that you can take a little time to wake up. Before you even get up stretch a little and take a couple deep breaths. Try and focus on the positive aspects of your day ahead.

2. Be prepared- I know this is such a common tip and probably not new for you, but it works! When I have not taken time to prepare, we waste a lot of time, finding lost sock or gloves or cuddle buddies (for the kids of course). But when I have everything ready- backpacks and bags packed, and clothes laid out the night before- it makes the morning a much more happier, less stressful time. If you are taking a lot of items with you, a short checklist by the door might help you prevent wasting time by having to come back home for forgotten items.

3. Make time for yourself and your family to eat breakfast. For the best digestion, eat sitting down. Keep it light if you like, but try it. I know mornings are very busy, but even just 5-10 minutes of sitting down and eating in the morning can help your family start the day off right. Aim for a few days a week and see if you notice a difference.

Here's to a calm and peaceful morning!

More to come on morning rituals.....

Which tip was most helpful for you? How do you de-stress your morning?


I'd love to hear about it.  Click below to leave your reply!

In Wellness,



Wellness is made of the small choices we make everyday. What have you done today to embrace wellness?

Are you a wellness procrastinator who is ready to Embrace Wellness Now? I am here to help and support you in reaching your goals. Click here to contact me for a free consultation.

Newsletter: Sign up for my newsletter to receive more wellness tips, tricks and information. I promise I won't bombard you and the information will be worth it! Just click the newsletter button on the right side of the screen. Hope to hear from you soon!


4 comments:

Charlotte Henley Babb said...

I posted this morning about working out systems to help me get the things done that need doing. You are working on this too, and the m ore people involved, the more you need a system.

I remember similar times when my daughter was young, and not an early riser. I finally learned to calm myself and not expect her to change. It helped a lot.

Audrey said...

Great Tips, I will have to remeber this..My morning is complete crazy tring to get 5 kids out the door for School :)

I need to start doing lunches night before!

Crystal Touchton said...

This morning was pretty hectic for us, but not all are. I just have to know when to stop hitting snooze. But you're right, it sets the tone for the day. Right now I feel rushed and I'm not, it's just how I started my day.

found you via the blog challenge

Caylie Price said...

Really enjoyed this post! That is definitely a husband comment ;-) My tip is set two alarms - from experience I know if I allow a little wake up time I'm likely to drift off again.