Sunday, January 6, 2013

Information Paralysis and Healthy Eating

I have a passion for food. Especially healthy food. This passion has intensified in the past five years and having kids really kicked it up a notch. I love talking about food and eating it.  I have made big changes in the way I eat (and look) and it seems to have drawn a lot of attention and curiosity. So now I get a lot of questions about what I eat from family, friends and colleagues.

Like me, I think many people have an interest in healthy eating and what it consists of. However, there is so much conflicting information out there that it can be tough for anyone to navigate.

Which is Better?
Photo Credit

Meat vs. no meat
Dairy vs. no dairy
Fat vs. no fat
High carb vs. low carb
Whole grain vs. no grain
Organic vs. non-organic
Non-GMO vs. GMO
Raw vs. cooked
Soy vs. no soy

You get the picture. The crazy thing is, that there is research and advertisements out there to back it all. We get information about what and how to eat from so many places:

* TV- With celebrities who are backing Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers or the newest advertisement for weight loss shakes, medications, etc.
*The Internet- Websites, Facebook, G-Mail, You Tube, etc.
*Newspaper and magazine articles- Interestingly enough, researchers tend to find what they want to find in their studies. The press tends to highlight the parts of the study that is most controversial (I can go on and on about this but will save it for a later date).
*Dr. Oz (come on, you know you watch him)
*Radio
*The Government

The information out their can be so paralyzing that people will just say,

"Screw it! I'm just going to eat what I want. Life is short." 

I can't tell you how many times I have heard this.

First things first, life is short and I see no reason to make it shorter by our food choices. 

Second, there are steps that you can take to start cleaning up your eating- Today

Here is what I've found:

Healthy eating is

 *A process, a conscious choice daily to take in foods that nourish our body mind and spirit.
 *Listening to our individual bodies to find out what foods we feel best on.
 *Eating foods that are as whole, clean and unprocessed as possible.
 *Eating high nutrient foods not just calories

Healthy eating is not

*A one size fits all formula for the perfect weight
*Temporary
*Starving yourself

Nutrition Information Paralysis Got you Stuck?

Regardless of all the information out there here are three tips to help you move forward:

1. Understand that every BODY is different- Our genetics make us unique. What your body thrives on may be like poison to me. We could eat the same exact foods at the same time, in the same quantity and have very different results.

2. Listen to your body- This has been the most important key for me. Listening to your body is like going straight to the source of the best information you will ever find. It will tell you what it needs by how you feel after you eat, throughout your day and at bedtime. Look at things like energy, focus and pain to give you an indicator if the foods you are currently eating are what's best for you.

3. Start reading ingredients- Just start to notice what's in the food you are eating. Go to your pantry, fridge or freezer and just look. You will be amazed at what you find- hidden sugar, soy, artificial colors, flavors and preservatives (to name a few). I try to buy foods that have five ingredients or less. I also try to buy foods that have the most natural ingredients I can find. If I can't pronounce something, I don't want my family eating it. Once you have noticed what's in your pantry, pick one item that is concerning and try to find a more natural option.

Get started today! Wellness is waiting!

What is your biggest obstacle to healthy eating?


I'd love to hear about it.  Click below to leave your reply!

In Wellness,



Wellness is made of the small choices we make everyday. What have you done today to embrace wellness?

Are you a wellness procrastinator who is ready to Embrace Wellness Now? I am here to help and support you in reaching your goals.

Newsletter: Sign up for my newsletter to receive more wellness tips, tricks and information. I promise I won't bombard you and the information will be worth it! Just click the newsletter button on the right side of the screen. Hope to hear from you soon!

Disclaimer: Please read

3 comments:

CarolynW said...

I watched Hungry for Change this past week and what you say re-enforces what I just saw - trying to make those healthy choices, but difficult in a household that will make some good choices, some OK & some terrible ...

Debi DiBasilio said...

I like the idea to "pick one item". It's doesn't seem as overwhelming as going through my whole kitchen and tossing the items that I no longer would purchase. I've been trying to read the labels and like the idea- if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it. Thanks for the good ideas.

Beth said...

Hi Amy,
My honey and I were just talking about this other day and talking about how we are going to try and eat clean and stop eating processed foods. We plan to start small. Last night I made my own potatoes instead of using the box to make some and they were so yummy!